When it comes to making a plan for fishing, you need the perfect rod for specific fish. By doing this, you will achieve great success. Selecting the correct length of your baitcasting rod is not as difficult or complex as you think.
Therefore we collect the best tips from our baitcasting experience that will help you select your rod.
What is the length of the baitcasting rod?
Baitcasting rods are most popular among anglers and they work better with the baitcasting reel. But the length of the rod is an essential component of fishing. The casting range of fish species depends on the length of the baitcasting rod.
An appropriate length maintains the casting distance and the accuracy of the rod. Anglers have several options but pick the best one according to their preferences.
Some of the important factors are:
- The length of your desired fish.
- Where you want to go fishing
- The environment for the fishing style
The major division of length of a baitcasting rod
There are three major divisions in the baitcasting fishing rod. These will help you determine the best rod length for your casting. Every division has some specific characteristics in casting. These divisions are:
- Long baitcasting rods
- Medium baitcasting rods
- Short baitcasting rods
1. Long baitcasting rods
Long baitcasting rods are suggested as better rods. They are responsible for casting long and far distances. Casting heavy fish requires more power and action.
They use large lures and baits such as overhanging trees and sunken timber to catch the big bass fish species. The maximum size of baitcasting rods is in between 8 feet to 12 feet.
Long baitcasting rods have a lot of specifications and this reflect in its design. Some of the specifications are:
- Long baitcasting rods need less power to fight fish that is hooked.
- These rods generate more power and action when needed the most.
- Long rods are excellent for casting saltwater fish species. It provides extra length to cast the fish overhead from the flats.
- The extra length of the baitcasting rod is registered to cast heavyweight and is perfect for this fishing style.
2. Medium baitcasting rods
Medium baitcasting rods have gained popularity among anglers. It diversifies and uses heavy lures to cast the finesse fishing style for bass and bream fish species.
The expected length for medium baitcasting rods is between 6 feet 5 inches to 8 feet. This length is categorized as the median length of the baitcasting rods.
Some of the key features are:
- The medium-length rods provide more flexibility to the angler and have become popular among anglers.
- They used heavy and lighter lures and fought with fish in open water.
- They are used to cast fishing lines in drained areas.
- They help cast the fish in cramped conditions and provide reasonable control over the rod.
- They are used with a combination of high casting accuracy and a long casting distance.
3. Short baitcasting rods
Short baitcasting rods are responsible for casting the short distance. They cast not more than 3 meters to 4 meters apart. The short length baitcasting rods range from 5 feet 5 inches to 6 feet 4 inches.
They provide the most incredible casting accuracy but at a limited range. It is a preferred rod length for various reasons.
Some of the significant characteristics of short baitcasting rods are:
- They used light lures, soft plastic lures, and short baits to cast small fish species like tuna and panfish.
- These fishing rods are dominant and provide comfortable casting to anglers.
- These rods have more control over fighting fish in different situations.
- Short rods give remarkable success in casting the fish in confined areas.
- They need some pulling power to deal with the aggressive fish.
How does the length of the baitcasting rod affect fishing?
The baitcasting rods are divided into three major categories of length. The two most common lengths are long baitcasting rods and short baitcasting rods. Both rod lengths significantly affect fishing because the far casting distance requires long length rods with heavy lures.
Suppose you use light lures or shorty baits. Then there would be no progress in fishing. Hence, the short casting distance requires short length rods, small lures, and short baits; they operate very well in small or restricted areas.
If we change the rod length mechanism for different castings, then all will go wrong and no casting will be done.
The long rods benefit from a long casting distance, while the short rods benefit from a short or limited casting distance.
What length is a baitcasting rod suitable for beginners?
The rod lengths depend on the fishing species you want to cast and the fishing area. Most of the time, short fishing rods are ideal for beginners because these rods are easy to handle and give control over casting.
The short length baitcasting rods cast the short distance and in access of the anglers. They help in dealing with the fish species at a very close distance.
It is not uncommon for anglers to search for information about the best baitcasting rod length. They think it is more challenging to choose an appropriate length, but the truth is something else.
This article has discussed some of the key factors that define the baitcasting rod length. And we hope that it will help you select the most appropriate length for your product experience.